Welcome to the Hope Lutheran Church and Student Center website. We hope these pages will help you learn more about us and our witness for Christ. Our church is an active community of believers, and Hope has a long tradition of outreach and service to its members and the community. New and returning University of Maryland students are invited to worship with us and to participate in the life of our congregation.
Hope welcomes all who are seeking God's love and grace; our unity is in Christ. We hope you will join us for our worship service on Sunday to experience for yourself the fellowship of Christ.
Please scroll down to see more about our upcoming activities, as well as featured information, and be sure to check the calendar for more detailed information.
Please join us at 10 am for worship
4201 Guilford Drive
College Park, MD 20740
Directions and map
Position Opening: Administrative Assistant
Hope Lutheran Church and Lutheran Campus Ministries are hiring a part-time administrative assistant. Please see and share the job description. To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to Lutheran@umd.edu with the subject line, “Administrative Assistant - your name.” Questions can be sent to Lutheran@umd.edu.
Everyone is welcome to participate in the following events at Hope. Check the calendar (or click on a date on the calendar in the sidebar) for more details about our events, as well as other events in the community that may interest Hope members and friends.
- Wednesday, December 2 - Advent Mid-Week Service - 6:30 pm meal, 7:15 pm worship at Good Samaritan Lutheran Church
- Friday, December 4 - Movies @ Hope Presents "Shop Around the Corner" - 7:30 pm. Movies @ Hope celebrates Christmas with this sparkling 1940 romantic comedy. It’s holiday time in Budapest, and busy shop clerk James Stewart can’t stand his co-worker, Margaret Sullavan – or so he thinks. Directed by the great Ernst Lubitsch, and honored by the British Film Institute’s poll of film critics as one of the top 250 movies ever. Of course, admission and refreshments are free. See you there, and invite your friends!
- Sunday, December 6 - Service of Healing, as part of our morning worship, 10:00 am
- Wednesday, December 9 - Advent Mid-Week Service - 6:30 pm meal, 7:15 pm worship at Hope
- Saturday, December 12 - Work Party - 9:30 am. Clean indoors and outdoors and set up the tree.
- Sunday, December 13 - Reception of New Members - 10:00 am worship
- Wednesday, December 16 - Advent Mid-Week Service - 6:30 pm meal, 7:15 pm worship at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Sunday, December 20 - Work Party - after worship. Decorate indoors for Christmas
- Thursday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Worship Service - 7:30 pm
Candidate Julie Bringman Affirmed Unanimously
At the August 9 congregational meeting, those present and voting unanimously decided to call Ms. Julie Bringman to be the new pastor at Hope. She began on September 14 and was ordained and installed on October 17. We are blessed and eagerly look forward, guided by the Spirit, to the opportunity joyfully to embark on this next phase of fulfilling God's work with our hearts, minds, and hands.
Hope's Offering of Food
Please bring an item of non-perishable food, especially proteins, forward when you come to commune at the altar. It will be taken to the College Park Food Bank at the Church of the Nazarene, which serves local needy people. The food bank suggests: high protein items, baby food/supplies, healthy “on-the-go” food for people who may not have any means to cook; and healthy,easy-to-eat snacks such as granola bars, protein bars, dried fruit, and nuts.This offering of food will help others while witnessing to Hope’s commitment to community service. Participation is optional.
Hope's Little Free Library
Have you noticed anything different in front of Hope? Check out our Little Free Library! A unique feature is the solar-powered LED lighting, allowing you to see what's available even if it's dark out. Take a book - leave a book.
A key portion of our transition process has been a series of congregational conversations in 2014 and 2015. These conversations were facilitated by Hope’s Transition Team and addressed different areas of challenge and opportunity as we navigate the pastoral transition while continuing the vision/mission work that was begun in 2014.
In June, the congregation voted to adopt a motion that Hope enter into collaborative ministry with Lutheran Campus Ministry (LCM) at the University of Maryland, College Park. Hope will call a part-time pastor under the oversight of Senior Pastor Ray Ranker, Lutheran chaplain at the University of Maryland. The corporate structure and finances of the two ministries will remain distinct and independent.
Further information and resources are available on our Transition page.
Movies at Hope is a film series dedicated to enriching our community by presenting documentary and feature films that explore the environmental, social, moral, and spiritual issues that define our time. Join us for films that make you think! Take a look at what we showed as part of our spring 2015 schedule, and stay tuned for our complete fall schedule. Admission is free; donations accepted. All are welcome.
To access the members' website, use "Create an Account" below the calendar in the sidebar to the right. If your account has already been activated, simply log in.
Celebrating its 22nd year, Gifts of Hope now offers year-round gift-giving and donation opportunities on its website, www.giftsofhopedc.org.
Find "Hope Lutheran Church and Student Center" on Facebook and then click to "like" us.
* * * * *
Hope's 2008-2009 renovation project was funded with a loan from the ELCA Mission Investment Fund.