Hope Lutheran Church and Student Center is an active community of believers, and Hope has a long tradition of community outreach and service. New and returning University of Maryland students are invited to worship with us and to participate in the life of our congregation.
Hope welcomes all who are seeking God's love and grace; our unity is in Christ. We hope you will join us for our worship service on Sunday to experience for yourself the fellowship of Christ.
Please scroll down to see more about our upcoming activities, as well as featured information, and be sure to check the calendar for more detailed information.
Everyone is welcome to participate in the following events at Hope. Check the calendar (or click on a date on the calendar in the sidebar) for more details about our events, as well as other events in the community that may interest Hope members and friends.
- Wednesday, November 30 - Advent Soup Supper and Evening Prayer - 6:30 pm. At Hope.
- Friday, December 2 - Movies@Hope double feature: "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" plus "Amahl and the Night Visitors" - 7:30 pm. Join us to watch two TV classics remastered in glorious Blu-ray. Dr. Seuss’ immortal "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is celebrating its 50th anniversary on the small screen, and the animated classic continues to enthrall children of all ages with its timeless wit and wisdom. This feature will be followed by the one-act opera for people who don’t opera, Gian Carlo Menotti’s tuneful "Amahl and the Night Visitors," which debuted on NBC-TV on Christmas Eve, 1951. This touching tale of a poor widow and her son visited by three strange men from the East is guaranteed to warm your heart. As always, admission and refreshments are free.
- Wednesday, December 7 - Advent Soup Supper and Evening Prayer - 6:30 pm. At Hope.
- Wednesday, December 14 - Advent Soup Supper and Evening Prayer - 6:30 pm. At St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, Riverdale.
- Sunday, December 18 - Special Prayers for Healing - as part of worship, 10:00 am. And stay after worship to help us decorate for Christmas!
- Wednesday, December 21 - Advent Soup Supper and Evening Prayer - 6:30 pm. At St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church, Riverdale.
- Saturday, December 24 - Christmas Eve Candlelight Worship with Holy Communion - 7:30 pm, with special music beginning at 7:00 pm
- Sunday, December 25 - Christmas Day Worship with Holy Communion - 10:00 am
Hope's Offering of Food
Please bring an item of non-perishable food, especially proteins, forward when you come to commune at the altar. It will be taken to the College Park Food Bank at the Church of the Nazarene, which serves local needy people. The food bank suggests: high protein items, baby food/supplies, healthy “on-the-go” food for people who may not have any means to cook; and healthy,easy-to-eat snacks such as granola bars, protein bars, dried fruit, and nuts. This offering of food will help others while witnessing to Hope’s commitment to community service. Participation is optional.
Hope's Little Free Library
Have you noticed anything different in front of Hope? Check out our Little Free Library! A unique feature is the solar-powered LED lighting, allowing you to see what's available even if it's dark out. Take a book - leave a book.
Movies@Hope is a film series dedicated to enriching our community by presenting documentary and feature films that explore the environmental, social, moral, and spiritual issues that define our time. Join us for films that make you think! Check out our 2016-17 movie schedule and take a look at the list of movies we have shown and discussed. Admission and refreshments are free; donations are accepted. All are welcome.
Meet Our Pastors
Learn about Pastor Julie Bringman and Pastor Ray Ranker, their previous experiences, and their ministry at Hope.
To access the members' website, use "Create an Account" below the calendar in the sidebar to the right. If your account has already been activated, simply log in.
Celebrating its 24th year, Gifts of Hope now offers year-round gift-giving and donation opportunities on its website, www.giftsofhopedc.org.
Find "Hope Lutheran Church and Student Center" on Facebook and then click to "like" us.
* * * * *
Hope's 2008-2009 renovation project was funded with a loan from the ELCA Mission Investment Fund.