Welcome to the Hope Lutheran Church and Student Center website. We hope this site will help you learn more about us and our witness for Christ. Our church is an active community of believers, and Hope has a long tradition of outreach and service to its members and the community. We hope you will join us for our worship service on Sunday to experience for yourself the fellowship of Christ.
Please scroll down to see more about our upcoming activities, as well as featured information, and be sure to check the calendar for more detailed information.
We especially welcome new and returning University of Maryland students to worship with us and to participate in the life of our congregation.
Everyone is welcome to participate in the following events at Hope. Check the calendar (or click on a date on the calendar in the sidebar) for more details about events listed here, as well as other events in the community that may interest Hope members and friends.
- Lenten Supper and Service - Wednesday, March 12 at 6:30 pm at Good Samaritan Lutheran Church in Lanham (soup supper at 6:30 pm and service at 7:15 pm)
- Vision for Mission Brainstorming Session - Sunday, March 16 after coffee hour. Hope members are strongly encouraged to attend.
- Lenten Supper and Service - Wednesday, March 19 at 6:30 pm at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church in Riverdale (soup supper at 6:30 pm and service at 7:15 pm)
- "Spring has Sprung" Gala Dinner - Friday, March 21 at 6:30 pm
- Lutheranism 101 (Part 1) - Sunday, March 23 after coffee hour
- Lenten Supper and Service - Wednesday, March 26 at 6:30 pm at Hope (soup supper at 6:30 pm and service at 7:15 pm)
- Lutheranism 101 (Part 2) - Sunday, March 30 after coffee hour
- Lenten Supper and Service - Wednesday, April 2 at 6:30 pm at Good Samaritan Lutheran Church in Lanham (soup supper at 6:30 pm and service at 7:15 pm)
- Movies@Hope presents "Five Minutes of Heaven" - Friday, April 4 at 7:30 pm. Fascinating story of two bitter enemies in Northern Ireland, Catholic and Protestant, and their attempt to reconcile. This thought-provoking film features Liam Neeson.
- Lutheranism 101 (Part 3) - Sunday, April 6 after coffee hour
- Lenten Supper and Service - Wednesday, April 9 at 6:30 pm at Hope (soup supper at 6:30 pm and service at 7:15 pm)
- Joyful Noise Benefit Concert - Sunday, April 13 at 3:00 pm. This concert by the Lutheran Campus Ministry praise band benefits All in for Ulman, supporting young adults fighting cancer.
- Maundy Thursday Service - Thursday, April 17 at 7:30 pm at Hope
- Good Friday Service - Friday, April 18 at 7:00 pm at St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church in Riverdale
Movies at Hope is a film series dedicated to enriching our community by presenting documentary and feature films that explore the environmental, social, moral, and spiritual issues that define our time. Admission is free; donations accepted. All are welcome. See above for details on our next presentation.
Celebrating its 20th year, Gifts of Hope now offers year-round gift-giving and donation opportunities on its website, www.giftsofhopemetrodc.org.
Hope received a major grant from the John Templeton Foundation to implement the Scientists in Congregations program (SIC), which allows for "a sustained, creative collaboration between practitioners in the fields of science ... and theology/faith practice." As part of the grant, Hope provided a major regional symposium in April 2012 focused on the perspective that faith and science do not need to be mutually exclusive, as well as two smaller events in 2013. Read more and watch videos from the events.
Our pastor, The Rev. Dr. James B. Vigen, has been an inspiration to our community and our congregation. Read more.
Search for "Hope Lutheran Church and Student Center" on Facebook and then click to "like" us.